Tuesday, April 26, 2005

One reason married priests might be a problem

Here's our schedule for next year.

Sunday...slow day. Just baseball practice in the evening. Except the third Sunday, which is the scouts pack planning meeting for a couple hours in the evening. Oh, and then when the Bucs have a home game, we work it as a fundraiser for my daughter's swim team. That's a six-to-seven-hour commitment eight Sundays between September and Christmas eve.

Monday...Cub Scout pack meeting three out of every four Mondays. Thank God there are no Monday night home games.

Tuesday...Synchro practice from 5:30 until 7:45.

Wednesday...My son has religious ed from 5:30 until 6:45. My daughter has youth group from 7:00 until 8:15.

Thursday...Synchro practice from 5:30 until 7:45. And the third Thursday of each month is the Cub Scout Pack meeting. I have volunteered to be the assistant Cub Master because I am entertaining to children. There is also a Bucs exhibition game on a Thursday night.

Friday...we rest. Except when we don't.

Oh, and there's a baseball practice and game sometime during the week, but I don't know what nights those are yet.

Saturday...Synchro practice from 9-12. Baseball game in the afternoon. On the first Saturday of every month, we have mandatory First Communion classes for my son and my wife and/or me from 3-5. The there's church at 5:30. Also, there is a Bucs exhibition game on a Saturday night.

Also, the first weekend in August, we are trying to do a hot dog stand as a synchro fundraiser. And then starting in January, my daughter will have as many as eight synchro meets, which typically run the entire weekend.

And then there's four to six Cub Scout camping trips. And we have Universal passes in Orlando.

And it would be nice to get a weekend with the wife in there, too...Plus the miscellaneous crap that pops up here and there...

Fortunately, my company is into work-life balance. My job allows it. Being a priest does not. This is one of the reasons I am not so quick to jump on the married-priest bandwagon.

No comments: