Thursday, July 06, 2006

A Sharp Tongue

A mild answer calms wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

I'm a witty guy. When I'm in the right mood, I can make anyone laugh. I'm articulate and though my tongue sometimes slips, the words are typically crisp and well-stated. My mind usually works pretty fast with the snappy retort.

And sometimes I get angry and judgemental. And my words, though clever, vivid, and sometimes funny, are often harsh. In those times, my ability to choose the right words amplifies my anger and redoubles my rage.

It's pretty clear that's not how it's supposed to be. I'm supposed to do better. And though God will forgive my slipping and backsliding, He'd prefer less complacency about it.

Today is the day I do better to melt away the anger. And failing that, tomorrow is the day. It will, however, be done, so that I can be in better fellowship with those around me.

No comments: