Monday, January 03, 2005

A Complex Simplicity

For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

It is really that simple? A friend of mine said that it is. I'm not sure that it is.

The words, on their face, are simple. God loved us and sent us His Son so that we might not enter into permanent death. Very simple words.

Very profound implications.

If this is true, what does it mean about aid to tsunami victims? What does it say about your conduct with the person who has seered your heart? What does it say about your relationship with your wife and kids? Or your conduct on the job?

That's where it gets complicated. It really is that simple, but the simple things are the ones with the most profound implications and that are the hardest to put into place.

I have evolved into a different person; almost everyone does. I understand things I didn't understand before. I have been remade. But I have more than four decades of habits to break, and that's hard.

My Father loves me, no matter what. And His Son does, too, and has called me His friend. The rest ought not to matter. The pain of the day and the slights of the past should not bother me because in the grand scheme, they can't hurt me. They just can't. When the day is done, I can come to Him and make my home with Him and abide by Him and He will love me.

Nothing else ought to matter. But it will.

It's just that simple.

No comments: