Thursday, December 23, 2004

CEOs

We call them CEOs. We aren't mad at them for wrecking Enron. And we don't envy them for their giant paycheck. We see them at Christmas and Easter only.

When I was young in my walk, I scorned them. I mean, if you are only going to come twice a year, why bother? If you aren't willing to put in the work and the time to walk with Jeeesusuh, why take up space that the regulars can use?

Now I am older and I can chuckle and blush at my earlier silliness. Sure there are people who are lazy and shallow and that's why they don't come. And there are people who would rather have bamboo shoots stuff under their nails, but they come because they should because the kids will notice.

If you come out of obligation, why bother? And if you think that your children are going to get their message from the two times that you come, rather than the 52 times you don't come, you are a knucklehead.

It's easy to be arrogant about those kinds of Christians when you have your place to sit each week and all your friends are at church. But God loves those kind of Christians, too.

And then there are those who come because they had a bad time, but they still want to believe...they still want the feeling they imagine comes when Jesus cames and they dare not have hope, but they dare not give up on it, either.

In some cases, their wounds are self-inflicted. And in some cases, they were caused by small, arrogant, and petty Christians. They were caused by Christians who worshipped their worship more than their God and who didn't understand that church isn't for good people, and even if it were, they wouldn't qualify.

Christmas is a Christian holiday (you can tell by looking at the first six letters and how they match). It may have heavily appropriated pagan symbolism, but it is a Christian holiday. And it isn't for the Christians who are there in the same pew every week.

It's for the people who come twice a year, and it is important that they feel welcomed. They came because God invited them.

If I had my way, it is all the regulars who would sit in the overflow seating. The regulars would spend the Mass or Service actively waiting on those who don't regularly attend, and telling them how glad they are that God asked them to come. And asking them to come back next week because they are loved and God misses them when they aren't there.

This year, we are going to Mass on Christmas day. CEOs tend to come on Christmas Eve. That's where the action is, because that's where Jesus is needed and sought after most. The regulars can sometimes take Him for granted.

Next year I want to go on Christmas Eve. I want to get their way early and save seats. And I want to wait until the last minute and then find some family in the overflow seating who hasn't been to church since Easter. And I want to welcome them and tell them that I am glad they are here and God is, too. And I want to tell them that He would be tickled if they would move closer to the front so that they could participate more.

And I want all my churchy friends to do the same thing.

Imagine that.

No comments: