Tuesday, December 28, 2004

A Personal Relationship with God Isn't Enough

Where to send donations for those hit by the tsunami.

I spend a lot of time working on my personal relationship with God. Which is good, because I am better when I am closer to Him than when I am not. But then, just as I think I have it figured out and am on the right track, something happens.

This time, what happened is that 44,000 people have died in a giant tsunami. The devastation is beyond imagining. And it proves how truly insignificant our little struggles and wars are. Here am I, employed, relatively safe and security, surrounded by a family that loves me and that I do a pretty good job of loving. I have friends and a lot of support. What right have I to be secure or to spend time watching the SciFi Channel and doing any of the other stupid, meaningless things I do on a daily basis?

This year here in Florida, we thought we knew devastation. Certainly, the four hurricanes we experienced are more than your typical bad day. But we have, for the most part, running water and places to go to escape the problems. Even those who couldn't get help from FEMA have options.

What of the people on the islands who were swamped by the wall of death the other day? They don't have FEMA or homeowners insurance. They don't have the luxury of worrying about work or whether so-and-so likes them. Hell has reached up and paid them a personal visit.

Given the level of material goods we have, how can we do less than at least send money? How can we do less than pray and care and add to that with something tangible?

That having been said, everyone can't give to every worthy cause. I could hop on a jet and spend the next six months helping them to rebuild, but then who would be a father to my family? Who would help lead my son's Cub Scout pack? Who would do whatever it is I am going to do for my daughter's swim team? These are not feel-good rationalizations; they are ministries that God has, at least for now, asked me to carry out.

But most people can give more radically than they do. I am sitting here listening to $90 worth of NFL Films music that I asked for for Christmas. As I do, I sort of wish that I hadn't asked for it for myself. There are more important things in the world. I pray that God continues to soften my heart that I might find them and do something better. I am His first, and I have faith that He will give me what I ask.

No comments: